Aller au contenu

Indonésie 1641-1675 coupang (Acheh + 1 exemplaire non identifié)

Invité JC

Messages recommandés

Bonjour,

Je recherche des renseignements sur ces petites pi?ces.

Elles font environ un gramme chacune, avec un diam?tre de 13 mm pour la plus grande et 12 mm pour la plus petite. Elles portent visiblement des caract?res arabes mais que je ne sais d?chiffrer. La derni?re fois j?avais des petites pi?ces en argent avec une l?gende arabe, mais qui se sont av?r?es provenir d?Inde ? cela pourrait-il ?tre le cas de celles-ci ?

Merci par avance.

JC

Hi,

I am looking for information about these small coins.

They weight approximately one gram each with a diameter of 13 millimetres for the biggest and 12 millimetres for the smaller. They bear what are probably Arabic characters, but, which I unfortunately do not read. Last time I get small silver coins with Arabic legend that appears to come from India, could it be the same with these?

Best regards

JC

2005-03-29.02.27.43-1.jpg

Invité akbar_the_moghul

Dear JC.

Both of the coins are coupangs from the Islamic sultanates of the Malaysia-Indonesia area. I can identify one of them precisely - the coin on the left. This is from Acheh in Sumatra, one of the areas which are unfortunately now severely suffering from the recent catastrophy of that region. It is listed in Mitchiner's "The World of Islam": M# 3948. Ruler: Safiyat al-Din Taj al-Alam ibn Iskandar Muda (1641-1675). Obverse inscription: Padouka(t) sri sultan Taj al-Alam. Reverse inscription: Safaitou al-Din shah berdaulat.

The other coin (on the right) is a little more difficult. I don't think it's from Acheh. One side has a two line inscription: al-sultan al-adil (the just sultan). This is a very common inscription and doesn't suggest any attribution. The other side has a three or four line inscription. The bottom line says "al-Zahir", the name of the sultan. Unfortunately I can't find it in any catalogue. But it does look a bit like another coin from the sultanate of Pasai (in Sumatra), issued by a sultan with the same name. See this link:

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo= ... 959&page=1

Best regards,

ATM

Dear ATM,

Thank you very much for these information. My friend, the chinese antique dealer in Jakarta, has also sugested that they were from Aceh, but he said that everytime there is some arabic legend on a coin. Well it is true at least for one of them. What happen in Aceh was terrible and destrcution was far more important that whate was suggested by media (i am doing the mapping of the damaged ares for the Indonesia Government).

Yours sincerly.

JC

Si vous avez une monnaie à identifier ou pour toute question, n'hésitez pas à vous inscrire. C'est gratuit et cela ne prend que quelques secondes.